Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Second Day in Norway

The Briksdal Glacier
     Today, May 19, 2011, I woke up and checked out of my hotel in Oslo. Today, I will be traveling to three different places. The first place is the The Nærøyfjord and Aurlandsfjord. At this place, I chose to go on a cruise. The cruise cost 265 Kroners ($45.00 in U.S. currency), but it was worth it. The two fjords are the wildest branches of the Sognefjord. As I traveled through the fjord, I looked and saw huge, snow-capped mountains, with a massive waterfall streaming down the sides. When I got off the boat, I began to travel to my next location, The Briksdal Glacier. The glacier is part of the Jostedal Glacier National Park. The glacier slopes from a height of 1200 meters. I remember watching it as it traveled in between a big valley. To end the day, I went to The Sognefjellet National Tourist Route. This route is the highest mountain pass in Northern Europe. The highest point is 1,434 meters above sea level. As I looked up from the bottom of the mountain, I remember feeling so small standing next to the mountain. I felt as though I could be crushed by its size at any time. Then, I tried to go up the huge, scenic road that is 204 kilometers long. I only made it up a little but, but I did see some fantastic views. One of the views was another huge waterfall that was 229 meters high. I finally left and went to check into my new hotel, the Turtagro Mountain Hotel, with panoramic views of the mountains surrounding it. The cost of the hotel was 960 Kroners ($166.71 USD). For dinner, I ate at a restaraunt called Alex Sushi, and I tried a bunch of stuff I have never had before, but it tasted pretty good. The price was 550 Kroners ($95.00 USD). Finally, I managed to get to sleep, waiting for the next day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment